Monday, April 2, 2012

You Should Read This Before Buy Braun SE7281WD Xpressive Body System Rechargeable Wet & Dry Epilator


I have been using an epilator for years, so for 'newbies' just a few comments-
YES- the pain gets better. Stick with it. I use it for everything- upper lip, underarms, legs, bikini- and I don't need any special soothing creams or gentle 'caps' or anything. I barely even feel it. You can get there.

It definitely beats shaving.

But I would say that the "hair free for 4-6 weeks" claim is bunk. If I go more than 2 weeks or so, it's noticeable. Now, the hair is softer and lighter so even if it's there it's not awful- but if you are expecting to be totally silky smooth for a month- no.

And on that note- I'm not sure I'm EVER 100% silky smooth. there are always a few little fine hairs it can't get, or a few that break. It's not like that JUST shaven feeling. (but, that just shaven feeling only lasts what, an hour?)

But the reason I'm writing this review-
I've had several epilators, and have tried pretty much every model of the silk-epil. I was so excited about two things on this one: the rechargeable battery, and the wet/dry ability.

First re: the wet/dry- I tried it in the shower- It didn't work NEARLY as well. missed tons of hairs. I think the fact that you can get it wet is meant more so you can clean it- not use it in the tub. But, maybe that's just me, maybe I should try it again.

And the battery- I honestly wish I had saved money and gotten the corded one. The charge doesn't last long enough, and it gets wimpy at the end. Even if I plug it in, it's wimpy until the battery gets some charge back. And worst of all- if I use it too much, I think maybe it overheats- it gets really hot and seems to strain the battery, and it will just totally die. I have to leave it alone for 5-10 min, and then I can go again just for maybe 3 minutes.

I really think this has to do with the battery and charging system.

So my recommendation would be to save money and get the corded version. After all- where are you going to be using it that it's so hard to be near an outlet?

And now you can save 18% if you offer this at here!

S. Cohen (Atlanta, GA) says :

I was really really really hesitant to get an epilator...in fact, I had been scared to get one my whole life. IF I had only known then, what I know now!! (the irony of life, right?)

I have very pale white skin and very thick black body hair, thanks to some not-so-good luck with the gene pool. :-) Been shaving all my life, and not only would I get razor rash EVERY time, but the regrowth would be evident within a matter of hours. Yuck! So, a few years ago, I started getting waxed, which wasn't horrible, but was very expensive and not something I could afford in the long-run; this lead me to purchase my own at-home wax warmer and I started waxing myself. Things I loved about waxing: regrowth was slower; no razor rash or tiny purple dots at each hair follicle(!!!). The things I hated about waxing: very messy; very time consuming; have to wait until a good portion of hair has grown back AND until hair growth is at least 1/2 inch or so before waxing EVERY time, which is ugly and makes me feel self-conscious. So:

I decided I needed to find a longer-term solution. Looked into the No!No!, but it has horrible reviews by just about everyone who doesn't get paid by the infomercial company (certainly a few exceptions, but not enough to make me comfortable dropping nearly $300 on it!). Then I saw epilators... and I decided I may as well try one because it's no more expensive than one round of waxing (less, actually); plus, I've undergone waxing so many times, so it couldn't possibly hurt more than that! Right? I hoped.... Many epilators get great reviews, so I had a hard time deciding on one. I ended up going with this one (Braun SE7281WD) because (1) It had some of the best and most thorough reviews; (2) I wasn't sure if I'd prefer to use it in the shower or dry, so I wanted the wet/dry feature to test all the possibilities; and (3) I liked that this came with several "heads" so I could work my way into it with the massaging head, and use the precision head for special areas, etc. I made the purchase, even though I was still really nervous.

It's been about 5 weeks and I don't regret the decision one bit! The first go-round was a little painful and awkward, I must admit (I tried it in the shower first which was way too awkward, so resumed after shower with dry but warm skin and it was still a little painful, but not as awkward). The 2nd time I used it (dry only) was about 1 week later - only a little hair was present and it felt like almost nothing. Same with 3rd week. Last week, I had a little more hair growth than the previous weeks, and I made a leap and decided to not use any of the heads at all, but just the bare epilator (dry as usual). It took the hair off so well, and was nearly painless (honestly, at this point, it feels like the skin is getting "a good scratching"...I can't explain this, but it doesn't hurt...*almost* feels good in a way, but not quite).

I love this epilator. I usually charge it up on a Sunday morning when I wake up, and by the time I'm done with my coffee it's ready to go. I use it on my armpits, arms, legs, bikini (need to be careful around the creases - I did knick myself once when the skin was too tight and had a slightly elevated/pinched-up area...ever since, I have used the precision head for the bikini area!), and stomach below the navel. There's always a charge left when I am done. It is pretty fast and easy. Hair regrowth seems to be slowing down and thinning out...since my hair is so thick, I do get a few ingrowns, especially near the thicker skin at the knees, but that's WAY better than the MANY ingrowns I got during waxing; and a deep salt scrub always helps the problem (I make my own: fine sea salt mixed with almond or grapeseed oil and 2 drops of lavendar aromatherapy oil). Oh, last week I also discovered that for some ingrowns (those causing a little bump on the surface of the skin and therefore not deep), I can move the epilator several times over the bump in different directions and it'll remove the excess skin and pull out the hair! Much better option than me trying to dig it out with tweezers and making myself bleed!!

Oh, and the best part is: I don't have to wait until most of the hair has regrown before I use it...in a similar fashion as shaving, I can epilate anytime I need to and have soft, smooth skin!! However, different and much better than shaving, the hair won't regrow within a few hours...or days!

I know this review is long, but sometimes I think it's really important to share the whole story. I hope it will help someone else out there. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment