Monday, April 2, 2012

You Should Read This Before Buy PetSafe Deluxe Little-Dog Remote Trainer for Pets


We bought this for our Rat Terrier. He's very smart and was learning all his basic commands but not "Come". When he got lose he refused to come when you called him. I worried about his safety. With the kids in and out of the house all summer, something needed to be done. As a animal lover I was really torn about the idea of a "shock" collar. What sold me was that this one could be set low and could also be used with a "beep". It only took him three times before he got it. The first time he left the yard I called him, he did the typical "Ha-yeah right", and took off! I gave him the command "Come Cosmo!" and then zapped him. He did yelp, I won't lie:-( He stopped and started to take off again, I repeated. He came running to me. I praised him and gave him treats. Next time I "beeped" him first with the command, followed by a second beep (still didn't come) then a zap, then he came...more praise. Last time I just "beeped" him and he came instantly!!. Now he wears it and we don't even have it turned on! It comes with a book on training for other bad habits like chasing cars, trash raiding, and digging. Along with basic training. It was worth the money. He got out the other day without the collar on, I panicked but opened the front door and called him. He came running to the door!! Also we have neighbors walk their dogs by our house, we just tell him to "sit" and "stay". They just walk right by without any trouble. Perfect! In less then a week he was trained. We could have spent a couple hundred dollars and a month or more on classes for basic training. All of which we didn't have the time or money for. This was easy and worth it!

And if you offer this now, you can save 42%. Check this offer here!


D. Blankenship (The Ozarks) says :

I have owned dogs and been with dogs since birth. The majority of these wonderful animals have been pets, but I have also spent years working with hunting dogs; raising, training and working with. Until recently I have always been rather smug, and must admit to having done a bit of bragging that I have never had a dog or known a dog that I could not train. Now of the literally hundreds of animals I have been in contact with and worked with over the years this has been true. In addition I can truthfully say I have never hit a dog, lost my temper with a dog, and other than firm voice command and gentle authoritarian use of a leash, used any other training aid. I had very mixed emotions and must admit to have had strong reservations in using such a device as being reviewed here. I have had friend who have had excellent results with their hunting animals with the use of "shock collars," and swear by them, but still and all.....

Well enter Ivan (as in Ivan the Terrible) who is a small terrier who may be 13 pounds soaking wet, although I am convinced he thinks he is the size of a timber wolf. Ivan is about one year old and was "dumped" at our place and was in horrid condition when he came to our door. Being the stern fellow I am, and already in possession of three house dogs, I did the only thing I could do...yup, took the little fellow in. After several trips to the groomer, healthy diet, being checked out an neutered by the vet, given lots and lots of love, he is doing just great. That has been eight months ago.

Ivan is actually a very good little dog. It took two days to house train him, he is well mannered in the house, and is a perfect lap dog. He sleeps in my lap while I read and lies across the top of my head when I go to bed. He gets long with the other animals perfectly. Ivan though has a typical terrier attitude. i.e. a hard head. No method I tried could keep him from bolting from the door, giving a "you and the horse you road in on" look over his shoulder when called, and just keep on going. Now we live in the woods and about 200 yards from the road. Ivan was in great risk of being run over as he loved to chase cars, or being eaten by coyotes as he loved to chase the feral cats who inhabit the woods surrounding us. He would spend hours, day and night, in the pursuit of his feline "enemies." I spent many late nights tromping the bush trying to catch this little critter and bring him home. What to do? The cats are able to avoid (or sometimes not) the coyotes by climbing trees...Ivan does not posses that skill.

Well, as a last resort I ordered one of these wonderful PetSafe trainers for small dogs. I began by testing it on myself...several times, by fastening it to my arm and allowing my wife to zap me...using the high mode....I actually suspicion she enjoyed it...go figure. Anyway, I can promise you that the pain is not all that bad. It does instantly get your attention and is very uncomfortable, but the actual pain is not really all that bad.

Well we then put the devise on Ivan. To make a not so long story even shorter, this thing worked perfectly and it only took three days and about six zaps. Ivan no longer heads for the woods, has stopped chasing cars and stays within his five or more acre area. He comes instantly when called. I can truly say that this thing has probably saved him from being squashed or eaten.

The device is very easy to use. It has 10 settings, 10 being the most powerful. It has been through rain, ice and snow and keeps on working. It is easy to fasten it on the dog. The antenna is buried in the actual collar so there is little chance of it breaking. The batteries seem to have a very long life.

There are two modes on this collar. There is a "beep" button and there is a "zapper" button. It does, as advertised, reach for at least 100 yards. We found that by giving Ivan warning (two) with the beeper before we actually gave him the mild shock worked out quite well. He now instantly returns when he hears the beeping noise. Actually, at this point, he instantly responds and returns at a verbal command.

Some things to note:

Ivan is a bright dog and it did not take him long to associate the collar with the shock. After three times of being hit he behaved well but the first time we let him out without the device in place he headed for the tall timber....back on the collar went. We did this a few times and finally purchased a regular collar, a cheap collar, and when it is on Ivan thinks it is the "bad" collar and behaves perfectly. We are in the process of weaning him from the non-shock collar as I write this and all is working out quite well.

Second: I read at least one review here that stated the collar burned holes in their dogs' fur and skin. This is an absolute blatant untruth...there is no way this device is capable of doing such a thing. The people who wrote those reviews either left the collar on too long and the studs wore a hole in the fur of the dog, or they are misguided individuals trying to "save" the dogs from these "dreadful devices." Hey folks, better startle your dog a bit than have him killed. I am a bit surprised that Amazon has allowed these untruthful reviews to stand. These misguided "do-gooder" reviews could cost many pets their lives and the people who wrote them should be ashamed of their selves.

Third: Even if you get overly enthusiastic with your zapping, the device will automatically stop the shock after eight seconds. This is important when dealing with over zealous children using the device.

Forth: If there are buildings, large trees and shrubs and such in the way, the collar is less effective.

Fifth: the device on the collar should be turned off when the dog is in the house our training time is over as it will prolong the battery life. Also, the collar should not be left on the dog for over eight hours per instructions.

Sixth: These devices should never ever be used as a form of punishment for your pet; a pox on your house if you do so.

I could not be happier with a product than I am this one. It was with every penny I spent and it is much less expensive than many of these devices I have seen.

Now I have a grandson, 17 years old, who is having problems staying focused on his German lessons and British Literature assignments,...I wonder......????

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks

No comments:

Post a Comment